How To Distill – A Complete Guide from Still Design and Fermentation through Distilling and Aging Spirits
by Aaron Hyde
Learn the surprisingly straightforward process of home distilling with detailed instructions and step-by-step photos.
Whether you’re looking for accessible information on how to make your first moonshine, gin, bourbon, brandy, or other spirit or you’re a home distiller who wants to learn more and perfect your craft, How to Distill is the resource you need.
In this book, certified industry expert and knowledgeable home distiller Aaron Hyde lays out the how and why of all the key processes, starting at the mash and fermentation, through distilling, and ending with additional information on aging and blending spirits. You’ll find:
- An Overview of Distilling and the Process: The fundamentals of distillation, concise distillation theory, still design, distilled products, and ingredients are all covered.
- Pre-Distillation: Move on to learn about the fermentation process, making your own wash from sugar or cereal mashing grain.
- Distilling: The main event! A robust section on distilling covers modern distillation techniques, the distillation process, key decisions during distillation, process control, collection, and further distillation runs.
- Post-Distillation: Work your way through flavor development and control, polishing spirit, the aging process, quality considerations, blending, and packaging considerations.
- Recipes: Whether you’re interested in making bourbon whiskey, scotch whisky, gin, rum, or vodka, you’ll find an easy-to-follow recipe.
With reliable, tested processes throughout, this is the new standard for distilling. By the end of the book, you’ll understand how to distill an array of different spirits and will have created something you will be proud to drink and share.